Tuesday, March 09, 2010

What has Toyota actually proven here?

Interesting article in the Chicago Tribune today: "Toyota rebuts claims of SIU professor: In webcast, consulting firm re-creates electronic glitch in other vehicle brands".

First, David Gilbert demonstrates to Congress a way to cause sudden acceleration in Toyota vehicles.

Then Toyota countered his demonstration as follows: "Using similar methodology, engineers at Toyota's facility on Monday duplicated the results on camera in seven other vehicles, including a Chevrolet Malibu, Honda Accord and Ford Fusion. Officials said the results, though not maligning other manufacturers, show that the methodology was essentially flawed."

Gee, I don't know. It seems like you could just as legitimately conclude that the problems experienced by Toyota owners could well be showing up in other vehicles.

I must admit that as a programmer, it scares me to think that my safety (and the safety of my family members) when driving is so dependent on software.

2 comments:

Don Burleson said...

Hi Steve,

>> show that the methodology was essentially flawed

You are saying that Toyota's testing methodology was bogus, and it's not a problem in other cars?

Steven Feuerstein said...

No, Don, that was just in the quote I featured. That's Toyota's position. I find myself thinking that it is more likely a more widespread problem or POTENTIAL problem than we are willing to accept at this time.