I ran into a couple of glitches, however, that I thought I would share:
1. UTL_FILE is not available. Usually, when you install Oracle, the UTL_FILE package (used to read/write files within PL/SQL) is installed, EXECUTE is granted to PUBLIC, and a public synonym is created. With XE, the package is installed and the synonym created, but the GRANT EXECUTE has not been run.
To fix this problem, connect to a SYSDBA account and run the $ORACLE_HOME/RDBMS/Admin/utlfile.sql file, or simply execute this command (from a SYSDBA account):
GRANT EXECUTE on SYS.UTL_FILE TO PUBLIC
2. Oracle XE does not include a Java Runtime Environment. I have been using some Java classes, installed in the database, in my unit testing product, Qute. Here is an example of a call to this Java code:
PROCEDURE parse_package (
owner IN VARCHAR2
, package_name IN VARCHAR2
, program_name IN VARCHAR2
java.lang.String, java.lang.String, java.lang.String)';
In pre-production versions of Oracle XE, the code compiled, but then raised runtime errors, sometimes ORA-00600, which are not trap-able with an exception section.
The production version still does not include a JRE and even worse, if you install the Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Western European; " Oracle Database 10g Express (Western European) Edition - Single-byte LATIN1 database for Western European language storage, with the Database Homepage user interface in English only.") then the above code will not even compile. Very strange. Oracle seems to actually be looking at the literal string and attempting to validate it at compile time.
Yet if I install the Oracle Database 10g Express Edition (Universal; Multi-byte Unicode database for all language deployment, with the Database Homepage user interface available in the following languages: Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean and Spanish), then I do not get a compilation error.