Sunday, May 13, 2007

An Ode to Oscillococcinum

Oscillococcinum - a strange name for a very wonderful medicine!

I just spent a week in Latin America, performing (it does seem these days that I perform as much I inform) Best Practice seminars organized by Quest Software and its partners in Buenos Aires, Bogota and Medellin.

On Friday, two hours before my talk in Medellin, I came down with flu symptoms: bad headache, every inch of my skin sensitive to the touch and painful, very tired. This was bad news. I had a three hour talk to do.

Fortunately, I was carrying a dose of Oscillococcinum in my bag for just this situation. I quickly poured the first dose of a hundred tiny white pills under my tongue.

It didn't help me over the next few hours; it doesn't take effect that quickly, but afte taking the other two doses over the rest of the day, I woke up Saturday morning at 4:30 AM ready to head to the airport and home, completely free of flu symptoms.

Oscillococcinum had done it again, for me! Incredible....

Oscillococcinum is a homeopathic remedy made by Boiron. It is incredibly effective and the fact that you probably don't know about it says a lot about the power of the pharmaceutical industry.

I urge you to find Oscillococcinum at your nearest natural food store and stock up. Also, visit your nearest drugstore (CVS, Walgreens, etc.) and if they do not carry Oscillococcinum, ask them to do so.

5 comments:

Anthony Wilson said...

Hi Steven,

You don't think confimatory bias may be coming into this? It's WAY more likely that your symptoms cleared up as a result of your body's immune system doing its job.

I don't think the fact that this is not a well-known cure is a case of the "power of the pharmaceutical industry" so much as a case of "it doesn't work".

cheers,
Anthony

Steven Feuerstein said...

Anthony, I would agree that this is something to be considered, if this was my only experience with Occi. But I have experienced it personally several times, as have several members of my family.

Unknown said...

Anthony, lets just think for a minute about the Pharmaceutical Industry. Do you believe they are in business because they like providing products to the world that help heal people... My first thought is NO. The Pharmaceutical Industry has one thing and one thing only on their minds that I can see; MONEY MONEY MONEY. Look at the legislation being thrown around because people can purchase medication, same as the US medication, in Canada or Mexico cheaper. Why is this? Is it because those two nations have a cheaper way of making the medication that the US has not figured out? I believe it goes back to my first statement; MONEY MONEY MONEY. I liken the Pharmaceutical Industry to the Oil Industry. Many good ideas of how to make a better car have been around for a long time but because they may cost the Oil Company money, people not purchasing as much fuel or purchasing and alternate fuel, they purchased the patents and let them sit on a shelf going now where. My guess with Stevens medication is that it does work. It may not work on everyone but it does work on some. The medication is cheap and therefore the Pharmaceutical Industry is not going to promote it especially since people may stop buying the more expensive alternative medication. Just to throw out another really world example, open up a recent Readers Digest and you will find an article on Hydrogen Peroxide and how it can be used for many things but again the industry would rather you not know. My point and I will hop off my soap box, is that although Oscillococcinum may not solve all people’s flu symptoms it may solve some and in the word “some” lies the half truth that the Pharmaceutical Industry stands on. They don’t want to promote Oscillococcinum because that isn’t very profitable to them and it only helps “Some” people so here, have some Nyquil.

Unknown said...

I have used Oscilloccinum three or four times and agree that it works. Yes, at the end of the day I felt somewhat better and will definately purchase this product again.

Unknown said...

I have used Oscillococcinum several times and can vouch for this product. It worked for me! I would recommend it to others.