Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dad



My father, Sheldon Feuerstein, would have reached the grand old age of 83 on Sunday, October 7.

Two weeks after I turned 54.

It got me thinking: my dad was  just shy of 30 years old when I was born (my father's second child and only son). And when I was just a little bit younger (29), my second (and only biological) son was born (Eli, now a musician and APEX developer).

When I was born, my dad worked as an accountant for a CPA. Two years later, he got his law degree (but never really used it; turns out he didn't like being a lawyer very much - and didn't like being an accountant a whole lot more). He later partnered with his brother-in-law, Max Schuckman, and spent decades more crunching numbers, entering himself by teaching himself programming (first on an HP programmable calculator and later on IBM minicomputers - RPG, no less!) and painting.

When Eli was born, I was a low-level programmer consultant putting in my time at the big, red CNA skyscraper in downtown Chicago. One year later, I started working for Oracle Corporation, which led to major changes in my life.

Now I have a baby granddaughter, just like Dad had a baby grandson. But I am lucky: my lovely Loey lives just six miles away. I very much plan to be a big part of her life (and vice versa). Dad and Mom lived in NY while I had moved to Chicago, so they were only able to make occasional appearances in Eli's (and Chris's) life.


1 comment:

iudith said...

Hello Steven,

I just read now your so fine remembrance post about your father
... I did not know that he was such a gifted and sensible artist.

As being myself the daughter of a professional artist (who, coincidence ?, also passed away in the same 2010), I was truly very impressed to see his paintings.

Now I understand where your talent
( and workoholism :) ) are coming from and why are you so strongly dedicated to family relations...

And, yes, seeing that picture of Haifa painted by your father and learning about his close relation to Israel, I could just wonder
what a unique chance we lost of having "The Feuersteins" visit us here, it could have been so exciting to have two artists and two Oracle people meet at the same time ...

... "and on the 8th day God created the PL/SQL Challenge" ...

Wish you to always be able to remember like this the finest moments you have shared together,
like that night in the snow looking at the stars ...

Best Regards,
Iudith Mentzel
Haifa, Israel